At Dodo, we understand that financial circumstances can change, making it difficult to pay your energy bill on time. That's why we’re committed to making sure you have access to our support options, including our Energy Assistance Program (Hardship Program).
For customers who are currently experiencing or anticipating payment difficulty, we have a range of support options designed to help manage your energy usage and payments.
What will we do?
We’ll work with you or an authorised representative to help lower your energy costs and provide a sustainable payment solution depending on your individual circumstances. We understand that it can be uncomfortable talking to someone when you’re facing financial issues. Our dedicated team are here to assist you and will manage your enquiry with the upmost respect and confidentially. We will also ensure you only need to provide us with relevant information you’re comfortable sharing that may be contributing to your financial position to determine the appropriate solution for you.
Please see below for support options available to customers through the Energy Assistance Program (Hardship Program):
- A payment extension for a billing period
- Making payments of an equal amount over a specified period
- Paying for energy in advance
- Payment plans that can incorporate both your current debt and your ongoing energy usage for up to two years
- The likely cost of your future energy use and how you can reduce this over time
- Other assistance available through the government that can help you meet your energy costs (such as grants and concession rebates)
- Practical assistance to help you lower your energy costs, including recommendations on the right plan for your circumstances considering your usage history (if available)
- Energy efficiency tips to help lower your usage
- For a period of at least 6 months, you can put your overdue amount on hold while you work with us to reduce your ongoing usage. You can also pay less than your usage over this period though this amount will be added to your balance at the end of that period
- Regular check-ins with our specialist team through this period to help you stay on top of things
- Full details of what is available are contained within the Energy Assistance Program Policy Victoria or Dodo Hardship Policy below.
What do you need to do?
Our Energy Assistance Program (Hardship Program) is based on both parties working together to manage your energy usage and payments. We’re here to help, but to ensure the assistance we provide under this program is most effective, it is important that you agree to:
- Work with us to determine what you can afford to pay regularly for your energy account(s), in line with how much you owe and your ongoing usage
- Talk to us about your energy usage and work with us to determine ways to reduce your energy costs
- Respond to our requests in a timely manner
- Apply for eligible government or community assistance, such as concessions, rebates or grants
- Advise us if there is a change in your circumstances that may impact your ability to make agreed payments
For more detailed information about what help is available for you, please contact Dodo on 1300 374 757 (Monday- Friday, 8am – 7pm AEST) or can review the Energy Assistance Program (Hardship Policy) below:
(Dodo Power & Gas Energy Assistance Program Policy (Vic Only)
(Dodo National Hardship Policy)
Your state government may also be able to offer you support. Concessions and rebates are available to help lower the cost of your energy bill
To find out more and see if you’re eligible, select your state below:
Financial counselling services are available. We can provide you with information on independent financial counsellors if you’re experiencing financial difficulty - just call 1800 007 007 or visit moneysmart.gov.au
Energy saving tips
We have some general energy saving tips available for you here. For more specific advice, please call our team on 1300 374 757 (Monday- Friday, 8am – 7pm AEST) and they can talk you through your usage to help you lower your usage and costs.