The Victorian Utility Relief Grant Scheme (URGS) can assist with electricity, gas or water bill payments during a temporary financial crisis - for instance, family violence or a recent decrease in income.

The amount you can receive depends on how much is owed when you apply, but you could potentially get up to $650 on each utility type in a two-year period, or $1,300 for a single source of energy (for example if you only have an electricity account).

To find out more, visit the Victorian government’s Utility Relief Grant Scheme page.


Who can apply for the grant?

An account holder who has one of the following eligible concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card.

If you don’t have one of these cards but are part of a low-income household, you may also be able to apply. 
Your retailer will ask you some questions to check if you are eligible before issuing a form.

The grant is available to renters and homeowners.


What are the criteria for the grant?

You must show that you have no way of paying the account without assistance and are at risk of disconnection, and 
You must meet one of the following criteria:

  • You or someone in your house has experienced family violence.
  • You have had a recent decrease in income, for example, lost your job.
  • You have had high unexpected costs for essential items.
  • The cost of shelter is more than 30 per cent of your household income.


How do I apply for the grant?

Please call our DodoAssist team on 1300 059 015 to discuss your application.  We will ask you some preliminary questions before starting your application. 

The application can be completed online with us over the phone, or we can arrange for one to be sent via email or post to complete.


How is the grant paid?

The grant is paid to your electricity or gas account against your outstanding debt.


How long will my application take?

Applications take approximately four to six weeks to process, from the time that a completed form is received by the department.

The Department of Families, Fairness and Housing will write to you once your application has been considered.


What information do I need to include with my application?

Depending on your circumstances, you may need to include supporting documents with your application.

Check your application carefully to make sure you have included everything needed.

For example, you may need to include copies of your payslips, receipts or a statutory declaration.


Why do I have to request this form from Dodo Power & Gas and not the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing?

When you request an application for the grant from us, we will put a hold on your account so that no disconnection action is taken by them while your grant is being considered.

We will provide the department with your billing information and the current amount owing on your account as part of the application process.


I received a grant of less than $650 – can I receive more?

You are not guaranteed to receive a grant of $650.

The amount of the grant is based on the amount you owe at the time of application and the reasons you have given for applying in your application form.

You can receive a maximum of $650 on each utility type in a two-year period (or $1,300 for households with a single source of energy (e.g. electricity only). If you received less than the maximum, you are eligible to apply again for another grant without waiting for two years.

If you wish to discuss the amount of your grant, call the Concessions Information Line on 1800 658 521.


More information

Please call our DodoAssist team on 1300 059 015 or the Concessions Information Line on 1800 658 521.


What to do next

If you are eligible and haven’t applied

Please contact us to start your application:

Please call our DodoAssist team on 1300 059 015

Please note, you may be required to provide supporting documentation. We will advise during your call if this is the case.
If you have any questions or need help completing your application, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team.

Once your application has been submitted and all required documentation has been provided, the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing will assess your application and be in contact with the outcome.

If you are not eligible

Please read our Payment Assistance page for more details on how we can assist you. Alternatively, you can chat with us Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm by calling DodoAssist team on 1300 059 015.