Family phone plans – the pros, the cons, the risks
Whether you’re a large or small family, many people can find benefit to family phone plans that let you have better control of your spending and get you saving some money. And if you’re all using a phone for the same reason – why not bundle it in a family plan?
Dodo makes it easy for families to get the best deal on their phone, which is why we offer a range of plans to suit your needs. Find out about all you need to know on family phone plans below: the pros, the cons, how to choose them and more.
What’s a family phone plan?
Family plans (or sometimes known as shared plans) let a group of people share a monthly amount of minutes, texts and data, with the final bill being the accumulated bill for all individuals. All members have their own phone number but share the same bill. Everyone in the group can also contact each other for free and the combination of phone plans usually comes with a decent discount. Generally speaking, it’s not just families that can benefit from this plan, and if you have a group of close friends or even a partner you might be able to save on your monthly phone bill.
- Family plans usually have a large amount of data or an even split, which means you can use more for a fairly similar price to an individual plan.
- Family plans mean you can call members for free, which is ideal for couples, families or friends who regularly talk to each other.
- Family plans let you look at usage across each user, which is great for parents who want to check on their children’s usage.
- Usually a family plan will have shared data, which can save you money if you don’t go over, but it can also mean you might be competing for data with the other lines in the plan. Remember the days of sharing dial-up internet with your computer and phone? You might find if you have a child who streams a lot that you are without data for yourself. This usually means you’ll want to set some ground rules before committing to a plan.
- The other risk is that when you add extras to the plan you may be asked to take on a higher minimum fee, even if you intend on splitting the current plan. If you’re not changing or adding people to the plan it’s all good, but if you find yourself adjusting or needing add-ons, it may be a hassle.
So, do you choose family or separate?
It’s all a matter of what you’re looking for in your plan. If you enjoy the visibility and are comfortable sharing data with a close group of people, then you will find you can save a lot on a family plan.
If you prefer the flexibility of having your own data, you might find a family plan frustrating and prefer an individual plan.
How to choose
When you are choosing your family plan, consider a few elements:
- Payments and contracts: How do you prefer paying? And are you okay with committing to longer contracts? You might want to prepay your service, or maybe you prefer to pay your bills after use.
- Data usage: The average smartphone user uses 9GB of data a month. Do you know how much data you and your family will use? You can check your data in your settings any time.
- International calls or texts: Do you have family members travelling? Or do you need to call people overseas? It’s good to have this in your plan if you do because otherwise it can cause your bill to skyrocket.
- Parental controls: If you have young kids with phones, you’ll want to have some control over them, so make sure your plan allows you to keep an eye on your young ones’ usage.
Dodo plans for the family
If you’re ready to get started with a new plan or are setting up a plan for a kid or partner, get in touch with the team at Dodo! Browse your available options or give us a call on 13 Dodo.
Why choose Dodo?
We make plans to meet our customer’s needs and what them to have the flexibility to trial, change their mind or update their contracts. When you choose Dodo you choose:
- No lock-in contracts1: We don’t ask you to commit to 12-months, providing flexibility as your needs change.
- Network guarantee: We are powered by the Optus 4G network, covering 98.5% of the population.
- Manage your plan with My Dodo: My Dodo is an online portal that lets you view usage, bills and manage your services all in the one place.
Get your plan ready with Dodo
Dodo makes it easy for you to start a new mobile plan. Browse available plans online or get in touch with our customer service team to discuss your options. Here’s a few https://support.dodo.com/mobile to get you started.
Can I switch my provider?
Yes! You can easily switch mobile providers if you find a better deal. Once you have settled for a plan wait for your new SIM to arrive before authorising it and transferring your details from your old SIM to the new one.
Am I on the best plan?
If you’ve been on the same plan for a few years, you might not be on the best or the cheapest plan for your needs. It’s always good to speak to your current provider about alternatives and shop around with other providers to see what deals you can get.
Get started with Dodo today
If you’re ready to start a new plan, or just want support for your current plan, visit us at dodo.com or contact the team at 13 dodo today. We are always happy to help!
1 $10, $20, $30 min cost